Hammock Shops Village Highlights:
- Ranked “Top 10 Best Places to Shop” at the beach
- Operating for over 80 years
- Newly renovated with additions to landscaping and customer amenities
- Approximately 115,000 people visit The Hammock Shops each year, generating over $11 million in direct spending
- Charming clapboard-style cottages
- Shared and single tenant buildings
- Plenty of outdoor seating in addition to the gazebo and playground
- 750 – 4,000 SF suites available
- Unique retail and restaurant community
- Approximately 200 on-site parking spaces
- Tenant Marketing Association
The Original Since 1938
It all began more than 75 years ago with a great hammock. Riverboat Captain Joshua John Ward had created the most comfortable and sturdy cotton-rope hammock ever in 1889 – and it steadily grew in popularity over the years.
So by 1938, when his family opened the Original Hammock Shop along U.S. 17 in Pawleys Island, it was only natural to feature this beautiful example of local craftsmanship.
In addition to hand-woven hammocks, fresh-caught crabs and oysters, art prints and other items, the roadside attraction eventually added a plant nursery. And over the years, more and more buildings joined the complex – many of which were former local landmarks that were saved from demolition and moved to the site.
Today, this iconic setting offers a most memorable mix of Lowcountry nature, history, shopping and dining. Whether browsing in the shops, sipping wine on the deck, or watching the art of hammock weaving and sweetgrass basket making being demonstrated each day, the pull of Pawleys is ever-present at The Hammock Shops.